Deliciously Pop-Able New Year’s Treats!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 4:29 PM
The breaded and deep-fried version of this dish is a nutritional nightmare, but this version, with spicy pepper flavor and generous amounts of cheese, has only 84 calories per popper. Try swapping out the Parmesan for cheddar, jack, or your favorite smooth-melting cheese for a whole new taste.
Grilled Pepper Poppers
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Spoon about 2 teaspoons cheese mixture into each pepper half. Place pepper halves, cheese side up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill peppers 5 minutes or until bottoms of peppers are charred and cheese mixture is lightly browned. Carefully place peppers on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Crowd-Pleasing Appetizers for Any Skill Level!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 4:06 PM
If you're lucky enough to be both clever AND organized, this is just the app for you. Assemble and freeze these up to two weeks in advance (a good weekend project), then pop them into the oven and add seven minutes to the cook time (no need to thaw). The savory mushroom filling and the feathery phyllo will impress all your holiday guests.
Creamy Mushroom Phyllo Triangles
- 3/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 3/4 ounce)
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 24 (18 x 14-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- Cover porcini mushrooms with boiling water in a bowl. Let stand 1 hour. Drain well; chop.
- Place half of button mushrooms in a food processor; pulse 8 times or until finely chopped. Remove from processor. Repeat procedure with remaining button mushrooms. Add onion to processor; pulse 8 times or until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add button mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates (about 10 minutes). Stir in porcini mushrooms, oregano, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts. Stir in parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining phyllo to prevent drying). Cut sheet in half lengthwise; lightly coat with cooking spray. Fold each phyllo piece in half lengthwise to form a (3 1/2-inch-wide) strip. Spoon a level tablespoon of mushroom mixture onto 1 short end of each strip, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold 1 corner of edge with 1-inch border over mixture, forming a triangle; continue folding back and forth into a triangle to end of strip. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo, cooking spray, and mushroom mixture. Place triangles, seam side down, on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat tops with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
ChocoLOVE—The Key to Your Heart, AND Your Taste BudsDecember 12, 2011
Filed under: - greenacres @ 4:20 PM
Discover Chocolove premium Belgian chocolate bars. Chocolove makes it easy for anyone to experience premium chocolate at an affordable price. With over 20 decadent flavors to choose from - from 33% milk chocolate to 77% extra strong dark, even organic chocolate -- they have something for everyone. Try OCherries & Almonds in Dark Chocolate, Almonds & Sea Salt, and many classically decadent variations of the plain jane chocolate bar. My personal favorite? 65% Dark Chocolate bar. Yummy!
But Chocolove puts a unique spin on your average premium chocolate bar. Tied to chocolate's natural counterpart, love, each bar resembles a love letter. You'll find an image of a stamp in the upper right corner, and a tantalizing little love poem inside each and every bar.
Chocolove bars are made in small batches and shipped around the country, delivering a little bit of “chocolate–love” to discerning chocolate lovers everywhere, including right here at GreenAcres! And just when you thought it couldn't get more fun: for the rest of December they're selling for 35% OFF! What a perfect opportunity for last-minute stocking stuffers, decadent munchies at your holiday get-together, or a surprise gift to your loved ones, just to say "I love you!"
Spicy maple-Cashew Popcorn—A Light, Fun Treat for All-Day Holiday Munching!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 10:52 AM
For a more kid-friendly version, omit the ground red pepper. Store in an airtight container for up to two days.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (about 6 cups popped)
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat canola oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. While saucepan heats, line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; set prepared pan aside. Add popcorn to oil in saucepan; cover and cook 2 minutes or until kernels begin to pop, shaking pan frequently. Continue cooking 2 minutes, shaking pan constantly. When popping slows down, remove pan from heat. Let stand 1 minute or until all popping stops. Stir in cashews.
- Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool 1 minute.
- Pour hot syrup mixture over popcorn mixture; toss well to coat. Immediately spread popcorn mixture out onto prepared jelly-roll pan. Cool 3 minutes.
Fran’s Chocolates—The Perfect Holiday IndulgenceDecember 12, 2011
Filed under: - greenacres @ 10:34 AM
With a name like Fran’s Chocolates, you’ve got to wonder about the woman behind the chocolate. Fran, by all accounts, is an artist, a chocolate maker, and wave-maker: “A visit to Paris inspired her European-like passion for pure flavors and simple, yet exquisite ingredients. She opened her first patisserie and chocolate shop twenty-five years ago to share that philosophy of joie-de-vivre. Many confections later, she has been credited for sparking the artisan chocolate renaissance in the United States, and is considered one of the best chocolatiers in the nation.” Talk about an endorsement!
And it’s not just us and Fran’s who think so! Fran’s treats have been touted as the “the President’s [Obama’s] favorite from the campaign trail.” It’s also said to be TV chef Ina Garten’s “candy of choice, dark-chocolate-covered caramels with sea salt from Fran’s Chocolates.” And it’s no wonder they’re getting all this attention. Fran’s maintains the flavor and quality of their chocolates through small batch production and by selecting all natural, and when possible, organic ingredients, including organic sugar and almonds. They partner with local Washington State and Oregon farms for many ingredients including organic cream and butter.
Now you can try this darling of the center stage right here at GreenAcres! Try Fran’s Gold Bars and GoldBites™: made with soft, slow-cooked caramel and roasted nuts, then drenched in dark chocolate. Try them in Almond or in Macadamia! These delectable delights make decadent stocking stuffers, are a star at intimate holiday gatherings, or the perfect way to just say ‘Happy Holidays!” to the people you love…and don’t forget some for yourself!
Look for their legendary Gray Salt and Smoked Salt Caramels…arriving in January!
Fun & Fruity Entertaining Idea!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 3:16 PM
Pear & Apple Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
Try this different and delicious fruit salsa with home-made cinnamon trotillas chips for what is sure to become your classic party go-to. Everyone will go ga-ga over this simply sweet dish that can be served as appetizer or dessert!
- 6 flour, spelt, or Gluten Free tortillas (8 inches)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups finely chopped tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe pear
- 1/2 cup quartered seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Coat both sides of each tortilla with al natural cooking spray. Combine the 3 T. coconut sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over both sides of tortillas.
- Cut each into eight wedges. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 4-5 minutes or until crisp, flipping as needed.
- Meanwhile, for salsa, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Serve with the cinnamon chips.
Pamela’s Tasty, Gluten Free Solution for the HolidaysDecember 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 2:29 PM
Are you going gluten free? Whether it’s for medical reasons or as a diet option, the holidays can be a tough time to fit your dietary needs into your busy schedule. That’s where Pamela’s steps in to help!
Pamela’s Products has been creating gluten free products for 23 years. Pamela founded her independent company on the premise that wheat-free and gluten-free foods can taste great and that everyone should have food delicious enough to celebrate. Her company continues to lead the industry with award winning decadent and delicious gluten-free foods. Says Pamela, “I love what I do and everyone I’ve met along the way. I continue to take pleasure in finding new flavor combinations and creating tasty new products to celebrate with friends. I hope you enjoy my products too!”
We here at GreenAcres swear by Pamela’s gluten free products, especially her carefully-crafted baking mixes, which are used almost exclusively in all the gluten free baked goods that come out of our amazing bakery. The featured mix we’d like to bring you today is her versatile and delicious Chocolate Brownie Mix. This mix is for all chocolate lovers who are passionate about dessert! Creates rich and moist brownies, chocolate waffles, and decadent cookies…
Try their recipe for quick and easy gluten free brownies, as featured right on the package! Serve these delicious treats for your kids, family, friends, or bring it to a get-together at a neighbor’s house. They’re perfect for any occasion!
Pamela’s Irresistible Chocolate Brownies
Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Non-Dairy
- 1 bag of Pamela’s Brownie Mix
- 1 egg, large
- ½ c. oil
- ¼ c. water
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9” or 8” square pan. Slowly combine all ingredients enough to incorporate, batter will thicken. Pour into pan, smoothing evenly out the edges. Bake for 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with slight crumbs. Enjoy!
An Elegant Centerpiece for Your Party Appetizers!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Recipes - greenacres @ 10:21 AM
Date, Walnut & Blue Cheese Ball
Bring some sophistication to your holiday cheese ball with this sweet and savory twist on the original! Prepare this retro-chic snack up to two days ahead, and serve with crackers, bread, or veggies.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- 5 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced pitted Medjool dates (2 to 3 dates)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add dates, shallots, lemon rind, salt, and pepper; beat at medium speed until well blended, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Spoon cheese mixture onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a ball, using a rubber spatula. Wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap; chill overnight.
- Combine parsley and walnuts in a shallow dish. Unwrap cheese ball; gently roll in nut mixture, coating well. Place on a serving plate. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Blue Cheese, at least 4 oz.
- cream cheese; 1 block reg.; 1 block 1/3 less fat
- 2-3 dates
- 1 Lemon
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- flat leaf parsley, at least 1/4 c.
Let Us Work for You—Made-To-Order Trays From Our Deli!December 12, 2011
Filed under: Deli - greenacres @ 1:01 PM
'Tis the season for holiday parties. And usually that means stress...and a nice big mess for your kitchen. But it doesn't have to! Let our deli work for you. We have all kinds of pre-order catering options available, including our Holiday Dinners--a fully prepared turkey dinner with all the trimmings!--catering trays, and more!
Check out our regular catering trays offered below, but don't feel wed to them. We'd be more than happy to make equivalent substitutions to make your special event to your taste and to your guests'. So don't wait, call us up today and find out how you can take advantage of all our incredible special order options!
24 Hours’ noAdditional fees apply for delivery orders. Substitutions may be made according to product availability.
Baked goods are also available for catering orders. You can either call the deli at (816) 746-0010, or print out the order form and fax it to the number provided. Additional notice is appreciated for all bakery special orders.
- Good Morning! - A breakfast “trifle”: layers of yogurt, granola, fresh fruit and/or berries surrounded by mini-muffins and breakfast breads
- Fruit Tray - Fresh seasonal fruits surrounding a brown sugar-yogurt dipping sauce. Cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, and grapes.
- Veggies & Dip - A fresh mixture of raw veggies: carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers. Choice of dipping sauce: Buttermilk Ranch, Spicy Peanut or Feta Cheese.
- Cubes & Curds - Sharp Cheddar, Smoked Gouda and Creamy Havarti Cubes and three flavors of Locally-Produced Cheese Curds.
- Meat & Cheese Tray - All Natural Sliced Meats and Fine Cheeses: Oven-Roasted Turkey, Ham and Roast Beef plus any three of the following cheeses: Swiss, Cheddar, Provolone, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella. Includes lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and condiments. Served with local artisan breads.
- Specialty Cheese Platter - A selection of beautiful domestic and imported cheeses surrounded by fresh and dried fruits, nuts and crackers. May have a combination of Brie with cranberry-orange relish, Point Reyes Blue, Beamster, Windsor Red, Sage Derby, and Goat Cheese encrusted with pistachios.
Baby Buns - Small artisan rolls filled with any three of the following:
- Salads: All Natural Chicken, Albacore Tuna & White Bean, Wild-Caught Salmon, Tofu No-Egg, or All-Natural Curried Chicken Salad
- Grilled Vegetables: Portobello Mushrooms & Goat Cheese with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Eggplant & Goat Cheese with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, or Red Peppers and Mozzarella with Basil Pesto
- Salads - Wonderful Salads to accompany any tray, available by the pound: Pharaoh Salad, Potato Salad, Sweet and Sour Cole Slaw