You may not know it, but eating fresh fruits and veggies can have a positive effect on the immune system. We’re coming into the cold and flu season…and actually, we’re already seeing customers in the store with the sniffles and Kleenex heading into the vitamin and supplement aisles looking for relief. “Help, Matt,” we’ve heard them exclaim. “I’m all stuffed up and I don’t have time for this nonsense!”
The following is his Top Five To Stave Off the Flu:
- Immune system supplements. Get to know these: Vitamin C, Quercetin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Zinc, probiotics and more.
- Watch your diet. Sugar, certain fats and oils and alcohol can have a devastating effect upon immune function. Food like dairy, red meat and even eggs can be difficult to digest, so eat less during allergic times. (Remember, we had a mild winter last year—maybe not enough frost to kill allergens, and we’ve had a very hot summer. Those mold spores are lurking!) Focus on fresh fruits and vegetables. Then, add immune boosting spices and herbs to your meals: garlic, ginger and turmeric.
- Reduce stress. Get plenty of sleep—at least 7.5 hours a night. It sounds simple, but sleep is more important than we all realize and getting a good night’s sleep is restorative beyond what we know.
- Stay clean! Wash your hands before touching your face or eyes. Use your nasal irrigation device like Nasopure. Don’t bite your fingernails or rub your eyes. Avoid spreading more germs to yourself!
- Exercise! Thirty minutes of pulse elevating exercise four times a week will greatly boost your immunity and help you fight off allergies.
Simple suggestions? You bet, but take heed, they work. Our man, Matt, practices what he preaches. And if you get that cold, you might consider starting the Echinacea right away.
Both Matt and Bonnie (shown above) recommend Silver, our Vitamin C and Olive Leaf Immune Bundle and Elderberry in concentrate or pill form. Any of these supplements can save you a trip to the doctor for antibiotics that may be actually rendering those giant germ bugs more potent and effective. Try Matt’s TOP FIVE first. See if that doesn’t give you all the boost you’ll need!