Cindy, our Health and Beauty Department expert, is a big fan of jojoba oil.
“It was brought to America by Spanish settlers and is used in the more expensive skincare lines,” says Cindy.
It’s also used as a carrier oil for aromatherapy essential oils mainly because it never goes rancid.
Dessert Essence, 100% pure jojoba oil, is one of our biggest sellers at GreenAcres. The company originally took its name from the desert landscape where the jojoba bushes grow plentiful and their seeds are gathered for precious oils that are nutrient-rich and revered in native cultures for their healing properties.
Brazil is a huge supplier of jojoba oil, but Dessert Essence supports a federation of Australian plantation farmers who have pledged not to use artificial pesticides, herbicides or fungicides on their plants, and just as important, have promised never to use animals for their testing protocols.
To say that Dessert Essence is faithful to the sustainability of the environment is to understate its mission completely. The company offsets its electricity annually by buying energy credits and it saves on paper by printing all of its brochures on paper recycled from chopsticks (!)
The Desert Essence website attests to its founding in 1978 and the company’s pledge to promote the benefits of jojoba oil and aloe vera. Australian Tea Tree Oil was first brought to the United States market by Desert Essence; and the company continues to discover natural plant forms that will eventually evolve into new product formulations “to benefit healing, beauty and renewed life.”
So how does one use jojoba oil to best advantage? A nifty sign printed by the company tells us how:
• Makeup Remover – Add a few drops to fingers or cotton ball and wipe over eyes and face. Rinse with warm water.
• Facial Cleanser – Apply a few drops to finger tips to cleanse normal or dry skin and rinse thoroughly.
• Body Moisturizer – Apply immediately after shower or bath to seal in moisture.
• Massage oil – Rubs nicely into the skin without oily residue.
• Dry Hair Treatment – Smooth quarter-size amount over damp hair. Wait 5-10 minutes before shampooing out.
• Foot Treatment – For soft fee, apply oil, wrap in gauze and put on socks for a least an hour.
• Shaving – Apply to beard or desired area beneath shaving product for a smooth shave or use as an aftershave.
• Hair Protection – Massage into hair before swimming to protect it from chlorine or salt water.
• Hair Smoothing – Apply 1-2 drops and smooth gently over hair for a great shine.
Ask any of our knowledgeable market team to tell you about jojoba oil and the products that contain it. Dessert Essence shampoos and conditioners are on sale through the month of March as a BOGO (buy one/get one free), just the perfect time to try the products out!
Says the Dessert Essence website:
“Extracted from red grapes native to Italy, Organic Grape Extract, Resveratrol, and Red Wine Extract provide high levels of antioxidants that act as UV filters to aid in correcting damage. Sugar and Coconut Oil cleansers effectively and gently remove everyday pollutants from hair. Organic Kelp and Nettle Extracts provide iron, calcium, potassium, and other vitamins and minerals that absorb into and help strengthen each hair strand. Certified to NSF Organic Standard.”