Diet? Not I said the fly, but “renew for one day,” I can do that!
That’s why I like Suja’s organic 1-day renewal program. It looks easy enough and since I work in a health food store, all I’ll have to do is buy three Suja drinks for $10 and grab my mini-meals from the Grab & Go. I’ve got this!
So, what’s with a one-day renewal plan?
According to Suja’s website, the Suja people “believe that healthiness is the root of all happiness, and healthy choices leave everyone feeling energized, bright, and alive.” Can’t argue with that. It’s a plan to get you to look at re-setting your food regimen and getting your body adjusted to eating right.
I’m with the Suja people philosophically, but I’m such a sugar-holic, will I like the process?
“Oh sure,” says my office mate, Lynette, the Central Grocery Buyer for GreenAcres Market. “You can do anything for one day.” (Notice, I’m the only one committing to do it.)
However, on Lynette’s statement alone, I’m all in.
It’s my understanding that by pairing organic, non-GMO, cold-pressed juices with a healthy food plan, I’ll be converted to making healthier food choices (or I’ll feel guilty.) I’m willing to be willing, and that’s the first step. Now how do I do it? Suja Co-founder and Certified Holistic Health Coach, Annie Lawless, is going to show me how.
Lawless suggests two to three days before beginning the Suja 1-Day Renewal, try to cut back on processed foods (no biggie for me, I eat pretty much fresh and organic.) Cut out caffeine (no biggie there, I gave up coffee two years ago for Lent and have never gone back.) No alcohol (OK by me, I might drink a glass a vino with the girls one night a month, if that.) Exercise 30 minutes a day (I exercise 40 minutes five days a week, I think that will suffice.) It’s the cookies, those tempting cookies. No excuses, take the plunge.
The Suja 1-Day Renewal plan is a “hydration and whole foods-centered plan created to give one all the nutrition a body needs through wholesome organic fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean proteins.
“You drink three delicious organic Suja cold-pressured beverages that will provide healthful hydration and vitamins, minerals, and beneficial antioxidants, plus you consume three supplemental mini meals to mix-and-match with the Suja drinks.”
There are six meal options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a couple of vegan options, “no excuses.”
I love the Suja drinks, no problem there. Let’s see what’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Suja cautions that portion control is a must. After all, I’ll be changing the way I look at food.
Upon Waking on an Empty Stomach —
- Drink Suja Organic Daybreak Probiotic (110 cals). Wake up and rehydrate with this first Fresh Start drink of the day. Thirty minutes later, or when hunger appears —have a Morning Mini Meal (approx. 200-230 cals).
- Choose from Raw Oatmeal, a medium apple and 20 almonds, or…
- Homemade Granola Bar, half an avocado sprinkled with cayenne and 1T pumpkin seeds, or…
- Spiced Quinoa, 1 grapefruit with cinnamon and stevia or 1 tsp. honey and 1T almonds
(Go to the Suja Website to find these recipes.)
At Midday when You Feel Hungry –
- Drink Suja’s Organic Noon Greens (110 cals). Thirty minutes later or when additional hunger appears—have a Midday Mini Meal (220-255 cals).
- Choose White Bean Salad (again, see recipes on the Suja website), 1 medium banana, plus 1 ½ T nut butter, or…
- A Refreshing Salad (See recipes), 1 veggie burger (no bun) topped with baby greens, tomato, onion, mustard and 1/8 avocado, or…
- Quinoa Flax Tabouleh (See recipes), 2T almonds and baby carrots, or…
- Low-sodium turkey slices rolled around slices of 1 tomato and ¼ avocado, plus 1T hummus, or…
- 1 cup unsalted tuna, 1T Dijon, ¼ avocado and 1 tsp garlic powder all mashed together with the tuna.
Late Afternoon/Early Evening when you start to feel hungry —
- Drink Suja Organic Twilight Protein (250 cals). Thirty minutes later, or when hunger appears —have an Evening Mini Meal (230-250 cals). (Please consume this final mini meal a minimum of 3 hours before bed to allow your body to fully digest before sleep.)
- White Kidney Bean Lettuce Cups (See Recipes), baked sweet potato topped with 1T unroasted almond butter and sprinkle with cinnamon, or…
- Kale salad (See Recipes), unsalted brown rice cakes with ¼ cup dairy free guacamole, or…
- Black Bean Salad (See Recipes), 1 frozen veggie burger (no bun) topped with baby greens, tomato, and 2T hummus, or…
- If beans aren’t your thing, substitute a baked chicken breast for the beans or 4 oz baked salmon over a bed of greens with 1T apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp no salt seasoning and 1 tsp flax or olive oil.
We’ve condensed some of the options above, but study this link and see if you can find the perfect mini meal options for you: http://www.sujajuice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/1-day-renewal-plan-2016.pdf
Lucky for me, I can find every single thing on this menu plan at GreenAcres. We welcome you to come shop for these items if you’re so inclined. You’ll find an ad in our June newsletter for the Suja Organic 1-Day Renewal Program. Come join me on this journey and see if we can get healthier together!